Thread Number: 68548  /  Tag: Vintage Dishwashers
How can I install a upper wash arm that it never had?
[Down to Last]'s exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 913001   12/29/2016 at 12:35 (540 days old) by maytaga806 (Brighton, MI)        

I have a 1980's Hotpoint Dishwasher, its basically just a GE Potscrubber from the 80s. No big difference at all. Anyway, It only has one spray arm at the bottom with that stupid telescoping center peice, it doesnt do a very good job either. It also has a little stupid spinner ''power shower'' at the very top of the dishwasher, something is clogged in the line of it because water does not come out of it and I took the little sprayer off and its not clogged.

So, since there is no middle wash arm for the top rack, is it possible in any way to install a wash arm with a water feed system for the upper rack? Just looking at whats possible, thanks!

Post# 913007 , Reply# 1   12/29/2016 at 13:37 (540 days old) by akronman (Akron/Cleveland Ohio)        

akronman's profile picture
I've had two GE 80's era dishwashers with the telescoping arm and the top-mounted shower, they do a fine job. I'd fix what's there before trying to add a new arm of sorts. Clean out or replace the tube running to the top, clean the filter, check the pump that it's clean, etc. Working properly, they do a fine job.

Post# 913013 , Reply# 2   12/29/2016 at 13:44 (540 days old) by brucelucenta ()        

Um, wouldn't it be much easier to get a new dishwasher? Those were never that great to begin with.

This post was last edited 12/29/2016 at 15:11
Post# 913018 , Reply# 3   12/29/2016 at 14:11 (540 days old) by maytaga806 (Brighton, MI)        

How can I clean out the top power shower? I took the actual plastic spray thing, that was clean and water flows through, but water doesnt come through the top hole that feeds into the sprayer? How do I clean that water line that goes from the bottom of the dishwasher to the top?

Post# 913021 , Reply# 4   12/29/2016 at 14:34 (540 days old) by akronman (Akron/Cleveland Ohio)        
new hose

akronman's profile picture
Frankly, I'd replace the hose, Home Depot or Lowe's will sell clear plastic or black rubber by the foot. Sometimes, after 35 years use, the hose gets deformed and flat and is very easily clogged. Also, when you take it off the pump at the bottom, you can look inside and see if there's a clog or not. I'd get a new hose, around 6 feet at maybe $1.50 per foot? Then be sure to clear out both places it attaches, use a toothpick or small screwdriver to be sure it's cleared of goop. Or if you take the hose entirely off and it's not flattened and water runs through it and there's no clog at the pump or on top of the machine, put it back together and see.

Also, take a picture of the inside of the machine with the racks removed, it will tell us exactly what era of pump and hose and arm system you have, more folks will add their advice.

My one Hotpoint and 2 GE's were all about 1980 or 1982, maybe there are differences introduced just a year or two later that someone else knows better than my era.

A few pictures always help--

Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

The Discuss-o-Mat has stopped, buzzer is sounding!!!
If you would like to reply to this thread please log-in...

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy