Thread Number: 72132  /  Tag: Vintage Automatic Washers
coming to Boston in September
[Down to Last]'s exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 953849   8/21/2017 at 12:47 (275 days old) by quincyman (St. Petersburg, Florida)        

Hi All,
Returning to Boston 9-7 thru 9-17 and would love to visit someone with a collection of washers, dishwashers....
Would be a real dream.
If anyone would be interested in sharing with me, I will be staying in Quincy and will have a rental care. I know there is a great group of guys up there with awesome collections. Hope to hear from you.

Post# 953907 , Reply# 1   8/21/2017 at 19:28 (275 days old) by turquoisedude (Ogden & St-Liboire (where??), QC, Canada)        

turquoisedude's profile picture

Keith, do you have a passport?  I'm a few hours out of Boston but it's an easy drive up the I-91 to Ogden if you'd like to visit a Canadian collector!

Post# 953981 , Reply# 2   8/22/2017 at 08:25 (275 days old) by quincyman (St. Petersburg, Florida)        

Unfortunately I don't. Sure wish I did though

Post# 953993 , Reply# 3   8/22/2017 at 08:58 (275 days old) by ken (Ulster Hgts, NY)        

ken's profile picture
Does FL offer an enhanced drivers license? That will get you into Canada as well.

Post# 954233 , Reply# 4   8/23/2017 at 13:45 (273 days old) by quincyman (St. Petersburg, Florida)        
What's an enhanced drivers license,

Never heard of it Ken

Post# 954235 , Reply# 5   8/23/2017 at 14:05 (273 days old) by ken (Ulster Hgts, NY)        

ken's profile picture
I don't know how many other states offer them but here in NYS one can get an enhanced drivers license which can be used in place of a passport to enter Canada. Have to fill out an application, present documents showing proof of identity, U.S. citizenship and pay a $30.00 fee. Takes about two weeks for EDL to arrive in mail.

Here's an explanation from the NYS DMV website:

What is an enhanced driver license (EDL)?

An enhanced license (permit, or non-driver ID) is a New York State DMV issued document that you can use instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. New York's EDL is compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). 1 It is not acceptable for air travel between these countries.We recommend you contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify your travel document requirements.

Post# 954278 , Reply# 6   8/23/2017 at 19:04 (273 days old) by wft2800 (Leatherhead, Surrey)        

So despite NAFTA you still need a passport to cross the Canuck border?!

Post# 954279 , Reply# 7   8/23/2017 at 19:29 (273 days old) by wayupnorth (On a lake between Bangor and Bar Harbor)        

wayupnorth's profile picture
Yes, I am not far from the New Brunswick border and now I need a passport to cross.

Post# 954283 , Reply# 8   8/23/2017 at 21:15 (273 days old) by LordKenmore (The Laundry Room)        

lordkenmore's profile picture

So despite NAFTA you still need a passport to cross the Canuck border?!


Border security--at least for coming into the US--tightened after 9/11. There were, IIRC, worries about terrorists coming in from Canada.


The border used to be apparently quite easy to cross--even before NAFTA. I've never been to Canada, but from what I heard a plain driver's license was once enough.


Post# 954286 , Reply# 9   8/23/2017 at 21:47 (273 days old) by wayupnorth (On a lake between Bangor and Bar Harbor)        

wayupnorth's profile picture
Not any more. Maine doesnt have that drivers licence that is "enhanced". So we have to pay for a passport just to go visit relatives over the border. I can drive thru New Brunswick to PEI or Nova Scotia in less miles than it would take to go to NYC from here.

Post# 954287 , Reply# 10   8/23/2017 at 22:01 (273 days old) by petek (Ontari ari ari O )        

petek's profile picture

Americans do NOT need a passport to enter Canada by land !!!  Canadian legislation has NOT changed since 9/11 as far as Canada is concerned. What did change is that the USA now requires everyone, including its own citizens,  to present a passport to ENTER the USA  (an enhanced drivers license, or Nexus card will also do) .    So if you wish to visit Canada, are an American with no criminal record and do not have a passport all you need is a birth certificate and a piece of picture i.d. like a drivers license etc. and maybe something else as well with your home address on it.     Going home you may encounter some wait re entering your own country and be sent to secondary until you're verified..  Here's the link.. note it gives different options, a passport not being mandatory.  


Post# 954289 , Reply# 11   8/23/2017 at 22:25 (273 days old) by wayupnorth (On a lake between Bangor and Bar Harbor)        

wayupnorth's profile picture
But we DO need a passport to cross the border to go back here and not have to go thru tons of BS. I remember crossing the border, Canadian Officials asking where we are from, telling them and one would say my aunt or some relative lives there, come right in. US side is much more stringent now. Ironically, if there is a fire in St. Stephen NB, Calais ME fire dept. has a green light to cross the border.

Post# 954570 , Reply# 12   8/26/2017 at 08:47 (271 days old) by quincyman (St. Petersburg, Florida)        
Thank you!

I want to thank you for the invite and I do wish I had time to get up to see your collection. Sadly, I will only be there (Quincy) for ten days and some time will be spent helping my Mom out. Maybe someday soon though.

Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

The Discuss-o-Mat has stopped, buzzer is sounding!!!
If you would like to reply to this thread please log-in...

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy