Thread Number: 72377  /  Tag: Vintage Dryers
Lady Kenmore dryer has a bad plug.
[Down to Last]'s exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 956563   9/7/2017 at 19:01 (382 days old) by Maytag85 (SoCal )        

maytag85's profile picture
The timer for my Lady Kenmore Dryer arrived today, and I installed it. When I first turned the dryer on, the buzzer came on, and the timer was wired incorrectly, and the buzzer ran continuously. Rewired the timer again (unplugged the dryer then plugged it back in) and the breaker tripped. I unplugged the dryer and the prongs on the plug were blackened. When I first got the dryer, the prongs on the plug were dark, and that could have been a sign that it was about time for a new power cord. I think the prongs were loose and they were not making a good connection, and they could have shorted out. Where can I get a new power cord?

  View Full Size

Post# 956564 , Reply# 1   9/7/2017 at 19:13 (382 days old) by cuffs054 (MONTICELLO, GA)        

That looks more like a outlet issue. It could be worn or leads loose. Are you sure the timer was wired correctly?

Post# 956578 , Reply# 2   9/7/2017 at 21:28 (382 days old) by Maytag85 (SoCal )        

maytag85's profile picture
It could have been a outlet issue, but this particular dryer looks like it has seen a lot of use, and the plug looks like it was ready to crap out. The prongs on the plug were loose, and it probably shorted out. After I made sure the timer was wired correctly, I plugged the dryer back in, and nothing happened at all. I have the matching portable washer that goes with the Kenmore portable dryer, and I plugged it in to the same outlet, and the washer seemed to work fine with no issues. Hopefully it gets fixed...

Post# 956580 , Reply# 3   9/7/2017 at 21:49 (382 days old) by combo52 (Beltsville,Md)        
Bad Plug

combo52's profile picture

You can still get a new cord from WP but they are a little expensive, but you can buy a heavy duty plug at the hard ware store and install it on the cord.


The burned loose prongs on the old plug are cause by a bad outlet.

Post# 956587 , Reply# 4   9/8/2017 at 00:03 (382 days old) by Maytag85 (SoCal )        

maytag85's profile picture
I bought the Lady Kenmore portable washer and dryer earlier this summer, and the plug looks like it has been used in a bad wall outlet as mentioned, but the wall outlets in the garage were replaced in 2009. The lady I bought is from lived in a mobile home that was built in the 60's and it most likely plugged in a worn out wall outlet. The plug looks like it would belong on a space heater/window a/c that was used non stop. Knock on wood, the matching washer has no major issues at all, and still works fine.

Post# 956603 , Reply# 5   9/8/2017 at 08:30 (381 days old) by turquoisedude (Ogden & St-Liboire (where??), QC, Canada)        

turquoisedude's profile picture

It sounds like there is a wiring problem somewhere....   I admit that I have inadvertently caused shorts in appliances that resulted in both having the breaker trip immediately and/or cause abnormal operation (recall the Inglis washer restoration saga... I managed to pull a wire from the timer and have the connector land across terminals on the timer that first tripped the breaker, then resulted in the washer agitating continuously).


Check and double check all connections and look out for any loose, bare, or burnt wires.  It is possible that there is a fault in the power cord itself, but that is easy to replace.  Just be sure to use a heavy-gauge wire - 14 AWG should do it.  


If the wiring looks OK, it is possible that heating element of the dryer has broken and is shorting to the cabinet. I once worked an older (60s) Kelvinator dryer that would not shut off - when I took the appliance apart, the heating element had broken and was touching the heater housing!  Once replaced, that old Kelvy ran fine again. 

Post# 956621 , Reply# 6   9/8/2017 at 11:21 (381 days old) by Maytag85 (SoCal )        

maytag85's profile picture
I'll double and quadruple check everything, and make sure everything in connected and not loose. I installed a replacement timer yesterday, and when I first turned on the dryer, the buzzer ran continuously and would not shut off, so I tried it again and the breaker tripped and the prongs on the plug were blackened. The plug was already worn out, and I think this time it was done for. The dryer looks like it got heavy use, since the enamel on the dryer drum is almost completely worn off!

Post# 956634 , Reply# 7   9/8/2017 at 13:09 (381 days old) by kb0nes (Burnsville, MN)        

kb0nes's profile picture
So why did the breaker trip? It didn't likely trip due to the plug or outlet. Always check the last thing that was changed.

If that plug got blackened like that in the outlet, you need to replace the outlet too. And as a helpful hint for anyone replacing an outlet, don't buy the cheapest no-name one you can find. A quality outlet will long outlast a 99 cent job especially if significant loads are plugged into it. The contacts in the cheap outlets just don't hold tension.

Post# 960089 , Reply# 8   10/1/2017 at 17:20 (358 days old) by Maytag85 (SoCal )        

maytag85's profile picture
Does anyone know where I can get a new power cord for my Lasy Kenmore portable dryer? I found a couple and eBay, but there is a cord that looks like I it will work with the lady Kenmore portable, but it looks like it goes to a whirlpool gas dryer, and I am not sure if it will work.

Post# 960091 , Reply# 9   10/1/2017 at 18:22 (358 days old) by Yogitunes (New Jersey)        

yogitunes's profile picture
your question has been answered already, not sure why your asking again....

but a simple replacement cord from Lowes will fit...

at this point, you might want to have it installed by a qualified electrician or repair technician....


  View Full Size
Post# 960092 , Reply# 10   10/1/2017 at 18:24 (358 days old) by Yogitunes (New Jersey)        

yogitunes's profile picture
or just have someone cut the end off, and install a new one.....


  View Full Size

Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

The Discuss-o-Mat has stopped, buzzer is sounding!!!
If you would like to reply to this thread please log-in...

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy