Thread Number: 19170
I tried to electrocute myself
[Down to Last]

automaticwasher.org's exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 309495   10/15/2008 at 22:23 (3,288 days old) by bpetersxx (earth)        

bpetersxx's profile picture
trying to fix the calypso

I found the the heatsinks on the control boards are live

Trying to find out why the start button shorts out intermittently





Post# 309524 , Reply# 1   10/16/2008 at 02:32 (3,288 days old) by dj-gabriele ()        

A heatsink shouldn't be live!!! :-O Maybe that is (one) source of the fault

Post# 309535 , Reply# 2   10/16/2008 at 06:16 (3,288 days old) by gizmo (Great Ocean Road, Victoria, Au)        

I don't know anything about the Calypso, but it is perfectly normal for heatsinks to be live on lots and lots of appliances.

Chris.


Post# 310045 , Reply# 3   10/18/2008 at 12:55 (3,286 days old) by rolls_rapide (Scotland, UK)        
Live Heatsinks

rolls_rapide's profile picture
Are quite common. UK Hoover machines had live heatsinks.

Post# 310066 , Reply# 4   10/18/2008 at 16:26 (3,286 days old) by tuthill ()        

What's a heat sink?

Post# 310077 , Reply# 5   10/18/2008 at 19:15 (3,285 days old) by 2drumsallergy ()        
Heat sinks

Hi Jed,
A Heat sink is a metal component used to dissipate heat from electronic components.


CLICK HERE TO GO TO 2drumsallergy's LINK


Post# 310092 , Reply# 6   10/18/2008 at 20:18 (3,285 days old) by tuthill ()        
Thanks David

That makes perfect sense.

Post# 311229 , Reply# 7   10/23/2008 at 18:57 (3,280 days old) by bpetersxx (earth)        

bpetersxx's profile picture
I touched the black heatsink and got bit

Post# 311233 , Reply# 8   10/23/2008 at 19:22 (3,280 days old) by tuthill ()        

wouldn't it make sense to unplug the appliance you are working on

Post# 311262 , Reply# 9   10/23/2008 at 21:29 (3,280 days old) by bpetersxx (earth)        

bpetersxx's profile picture
Yes you should always unplug before working on anything electrical

I`m the electrocution king I`ve been zapped too many times in my 45 years


Post# 311269 , Reply# 10   10/23/2008 at 22:03 (3,280 days old) by andrewinorlando ()        

The heatsinks on the calypso control boards are live. So do the smart thing, please, and disconnect the machine before you work on it. You run the risk of not only killing yourself, but short circuiting the control board.

Post# 311299 , Reply# 11   10/24/2008 at 06:45 (3,280 days old) by toggleswitch2 ()        

As much as the lands of 220v complain about 110v, you are still alive to talk about it...............

Post# 311393 , Reply# 12   10/24/2008 at 16:31 (3,280 days old) by mrx ()        

You'd survive a 220V shock too quite well. 110V or 220V will both very efficiently kill you if they happen to pass through your heart.

It's more likely that you were saved by the fact that you were on a non-conductive floor or that you were wearing shoes.

If you have been in contact with a copper pipe or an earthed part of the machine you could have been much more badly shocked.

Also, in general in 220V land (in Europe anyway) RCDs (GFCIs) are usually required on most or all circuits, so it's hard enough to electrocute yourself thesedays.

As a rule though - REMOVE THE PLUG FROM THE OUTLET!


Post# 311470 , Reply# 13   10/25/2008 at 06:28 (3,279 days old) by seamusuk (Dover Kent UK)        
Hoover Modules....

seamusuk's profile picture
As far as I remember older Hoover autos (will look at my A3308 later) always used to have a sticker on the module with DANGER LIVE HEATSINK or words to that effect.

As has been said before ya dont touch anything with the machine connected- simple :)

Seamus


Post# 311527 , Reply# 14   10/25/2008 at 18:03 (3,278 days old) by rolls_rapide (Scotland, UK)        
And remember...

rolls_rapide's profile picture
It is the Volts that jolt, and the Amps that kill!




Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      



Comes to the Rescue!

The Discuss-o-Mat has stopped, buzzer is sounding!!!
If you would like to reply to this thread please log-in...

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In



New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.



                     


automaticwasher.org home
Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy