Thread Number: 63668  /  Tag: Ranges, Stoves, Ovens
P7 Sensi Temp Conversion Question
[Down to Last]'s exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 862362   1/17/2016 at 13:18 (1,009 days old) by Psychoelf (Lewisburg)        

Hello all,

I own a GE P7, model J486A2YE. I bought the service manual hoping to convert my sensi-temp to a regular burner. All I can figure from the manual is that I need a kit which is no longer available. Would anybody be able tell me what parts I need and have details on the install?

Thanks in advance!

Post# 865973 , Reply# 1   2/7/2016 at 12:53 (988 days old) by Psychoelf (Lewisburg)        

Still needing help if anyone has an answer. Thanks!

Post# 866024 , Reply# 2   2/7/2016 at 19:46 (987 days old) by sel8207 (naples, florida 34117)        
what NLA means.

It means it's no longer available from General Electric. However, it doesn't mean there's not some kits on the shelves somewhere, where people are going to be listing them on Ebay. Do you have the kit number? If you do, go to Ebay search under "home and garden" ; type in 'vintage general electric' . It will show you all the older type g.e. parts. That's one way. Or simply type in the model number of the kit under search. If you save the search and have an email where ebay notifies you when your search produces a match, it will notify you via email that something has come up that satisfies your search needs. That's how I got a sensor for my 1961 g.e. sensi temp burner. You have to be patient though. I 'm sure that those kits haven't all been thrown in the trash. Or, you can type the kit number in under Google search and see what comes up. Good luck to you. Les.

Post# 866046 , Reply# 3   2/7/2016 at 22:00 (987 days old) by Kenmore71 (Minneapolis, MN)        

kenmore71's profile picture
If you want help with this I may be able to help you. I have not tracked down your exact model number, but IF you are confident in your electrical abilities (including how to read a schematic) this problem may be able to be solved with minimal drama.

Post# 866689 , Reply# 4   2/11/2016 at 17:16 (984 days old) by Psychoelf (Lewisburg)        

I'm mostly confident in my schematic reading abilities. I was assuming the process would involve installing an infinite switch instead, so I was hoping someone had figured out other part numbers that may be used in place of an official kit. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Post# 866712 , Reply# 5   2/11/2016 at 19:32 (983 days old) by combo52 (Beltsville,Md)        
Converting a GE ST element to an infinite switch

combo52's profile picture

All you need is a Robetshaw infinite switch kit pt# 5500-202 to replace the responder, you leave the muli-size element switch so you can still pick your element size.   John L.

Post# 866715 , Reply# 6   2/11/2016 at 19:46 (983 days old) by norgeway (mocksville n c )        
Take that to the bank!

John knows what he is talking about!

Post# 866823 , Reply# 7   2/12/2016 at 14:44 (983 days old) by Psychoelf (Lewisburg)        

Awesome! I'll try to post back once I get it in there.

Post# 879534 , Reply# 8   5/4/2016 at 04:19 (901 days old) by Xraytech (S.W. Pennsylvania, near Pittsb)        

xraytech's profile picture
for a non-functioning sensi-temp, is the robertshaw infinite switch all that is needed to convert the burner?
Does anything need to be done with the sensor?

Post# 879638 , Reply# 9   5/5/2016 at 04:57 (900 days old) by combo52 (Beltsville,Md)        
GE Sensi Temp Conversion

combo52's profile picture

All that is really needed is a Robertshaw Non-Push-To-Turn infinite switch to make the element work again.


Normally I would leave the old inoperative sensor in place, it is just not connected electrically.


Another issue is the temperature dial is not labeled properly for a regular infinite switch, but it is fairly easy to learn to use it this way.


When GE sold kits especially for converting STs to regular infinite switches they included a new knob or dial that often matched the other knobs-dials on the range.


I always leave the 4-6-8-Griddle switch hooked up so you can continue to enjoy the benefits this versatile multi-size element.


John L.

Post# 897297 , Reply# 10   9/5/2016 at 14:31 (777 days old) by Psychoelf (Lewisburg)        

I have the repair manual but I am having trouble. I know H goes to H and L goes to L. I believe I can just leave the S wires disconnected as they are the sensor, but how do I hook up the transformer. The robert shaw knob just has one connector for pilot...pardon my ignorance as im new to appliance wiring.

Post# 897310 , Reply# 11   9/5/2016 at 17:06 (777 days old) by Psychoelf (Lewisburg)        

Disregard the above. I assumed....Then I read the diagram more in depth and its working now. Just had to make a wire for the L2 and take the tranformer wires off for the 12 volt side. Griddle and pushbuttons all work!

Post# 975763 , Reply# 12   12/27/2017 at 15:33 (299 days old) by bigleu (Columbus)        
Help with switch connections

So I have the same issue with my GE range. I ordered a Robertshaw switch as recommended. But now Iím confused as to the wire placement. I have the wires that went to the old switch...two yellow from the transformer, a red from the terminal block, and the red going to the switch. Where do those connect on the Robertshaw? Do I need to add another wire? Thanks for the help!

Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

The Discuss-o-Mat has stopped, buzzer is sounding!!!
If you would like to reply to this thread please log-in...

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy