Thread Number: 63821  /  Tag: Ranges, Stoves, Ovens
Smooth-top range question
[Down to Last]'s exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 863962   1/25/2016 at 08:43 (1,002 days old) by trb10 ()        

I posted this question on an older thread in another section, I thought I might have a better chance of a response by re-posting here.

I'm a Corning collector, and recently came across a piece I thought was a "Counter Saver" - a flat piece of Corning Ware glass used to set hot pots on. It has a pattern I've never seen and the dimensions are off for any known sizes. So I thought it may have had something to do with Corning's "Counter that Cooks" or one of the Electromatic burners. But again, the size doesn't match up.

In looking for the pattern, I came across a smooth-top Tappan in another thread and thought I may have found a size match.

If those panels are about 17x13 inches, I know where this one came from.

Also, just for curiosity's sake, has anyone here ever seen this pattern on a stove top before? Any idea on years in production.

  View Full Size

Post# 863963 , Reply# 1   1/25/2016 at 08:48 (1,002 days old) by Tomturbomatic (Beltsville, MD)        

Nice looking patern. Wish I could help, but it is the first time I have seen it. Tom

Post# 863965 , Reply# 2   1/25/2016 at 09:15 (1,002 days old) by trb10 ()        

From Combo52:

"It could have been for some type of cooking-warming appliance, the pattern looks a little large for it to be part of a Tappan cook-top.
I am also a Corning ware collector and have at 1000 pieces including many that are related to their use with major appliances.
Living here in the central east coast area I am within a hundred miles of three former factories that made CW and all sorts of cool thing have shown up at estate sales etc many of which never made to market including the holiday-Christmas items that were given to factory employees every year.
John L."

I think the graphic is too large as well, but I have also never seen this pattern before.
My understanding is that PPG made the top with 4 smaller plates instead of one large to cut down on replacement costs. Is it possible that they made some type of "designer" replacements?

It could be from a smaller portable appliance similar to the Corning Ware "E-1310 Electromatic Table Range". But the Pyroceram insert on that is only about 10x10in. And I haven't seen anything bigger from Corning until you get to the full sized ranges. Do you know of any table-top electric burner appliances that would be in the 17x13in neighborhood?

(Also, if you're a Corning fan and on Facebook at all, there's a pretty good collector's group there - )

Post# 863975 , Reply# 3   1/25/2016 at 10:09 (1,002 days old) by Iheartmaytag (Wichita, Kansas)        

iheartmaytag's profile picture

My mother used to have a warming tray that had a similar pattern.  It would hold up to three 2qt corning dishes, but the entire unit heated across the length.


Not saying that is where this is from, but it looks familiar, Nothing to compare my memory to as I think she gave or sold it when we moved out of state in 1976. 

Post# 864124 , Reply# 4   1/26/2016 at 06:37 (1,001 days old) by trb10 ()        

I had thought of warming tray as an option too, but I haven't been able to find any with similar dimensions. Most are either square-ish in the 6-12in range, rectangular in a 10x16in type size, or the long buffet style ones that are 18x6ish. If you happen to remember a brand name, I'll add that to my searching.

If anyone has tech specs on that Tappan "Signature Menu Magic" with the 4 panel smooth-top, I am interested to know what the dimensions are of those glass-ceramic pieces. I did some digging on it, but haven't found too much beyond advertising one-sheets and a couple PopSci articles about its space-age awesomeness.

Post# 993324 , Reply# 5   5/6/2018 at 18:04 by retrod (New Berlin)        

Sorry to respond to this very old thread. I have a 4 module 1975 Tappan 13-3383. The glass panels are 12 x 9 inches. The glass is not perfectly smooth, it has a slight texture to it. Not easy to keep it clean, LOL!

  Photos...       <              >      Photo 1 of 3         View Full Size
Post# 993361 , Reply# 6   5/7/2018 at 02:12 by cuffs054 (MONTICELLO, GA)        

You keep that in great shape.

Post# 993403 , Reply# 7   5/7/2018 at 11:26 by retrod (New Berlin)        

Thanks! The four control knobs are original . They are made of plastic with a chrome plating. A couple of them have the plating failing and I am unable to find exact replacements.

Post# 993599 , Reply# 8   5/9/2018 at 10:12 by Sudsomatic (Indiana)        
That's a neat stovetop

sudsomatic's profile picture
I had no idea smooth top ranges went back to the 70's like that.

Plastic can be re-plated. A lot of hobbyist need chrome plating done to plastic pieces for things like scale models and then car enthusiasts always want bezels and covers chromed... so there are several businesses that do single item plastic chroming for individuals, like with your control knobs.

Only problem is they are ridiculously expensive for no bigger than your knobs would be and you have to mail them off in most cases as it's not a common thing to have in just any ones local area. That's a risk you'd hate to take with such a rare piece like this but something to think about.

PS.. that floor is pretty awesome too. Is the whole kitchen vintage like the range?

Post# 993602 , Reply# 9   5/9/2018 at 10:51 by retrod (New Berlin)        

Thanks! I am hoping to run across at least one replacement knob. At one time I had the part number and then lost it. My Hotpoint oven (1956) and Amana Radar microwave are also vintage.

  Photos...       <              >      Photo 1 of 2         View Full Size
Post# 993616 , Reply# 10   5/9/2018 at 14:05 by Sudsomatic (Indiana)        
Very cool

sudsomatic's profile picture
That's a fun kitchen! Those look almost new too. Smooth top oven and stainless steel appliances were much more interesting circa 1950's and 70's

Very unique knobs there, I bet someone somewhere has one or some. Those are the kind of knobs collectors like to snag from poor orphaned machines at recycling centers and scrap metal bone yards.

Post# 993708 , Reply# 11   5/10/2018 at 05:56 by retro-man (nashua,nh)        

There is chrome spray paint available at HD or Lowes. Quick drying and looks pretty good. I have used it on a few pieces but nothing that gets handled regularly so I don't know how good it will hold up under use. But cheap and available. Might want to give it a try.


Post# 993725 , Reply# 12   5/10/2018 at 09:04 by retrod (New Berlin)        

Something may turn up, I have only been looking for thirty years, LOL!
The paint idea would be okay for a touch up. I have a feeling when I find a perfect replacement and install it it could trigger a pent up catastrophic failure requiring a total replacement of the unit, sometimes that's just how things go.

I forgot the most fun appliance, the Sunbeam T-35 automatic toaster.

  View Full Size

Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

The Discuss-o-Mat has stopped, buzzer is sounding!!!
If you would like to reply to this thread please log-in...

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy