Thread Number: 752
Older Maytag Lids
[Down to Last]'s exclusive eBay Watch:
scroll >>> for more items --- [As an eBay Partner, eBay may compensate if you make a purchase using any link to eBay on this page]
Post# 51066   12/14/2004 at 21:35 (7,068 days old) by veg-o-matic (Baltimore, Hon!)        

veg-o-matic's profile picture
I've noticed in the lids of the older Maytags, there's a round black thing in the middle and something else below that.

What in the heck ARE they?

Confused in Baltimore

Post# 51068 , Reply# 1   12/14/2004 at 21:55 (7,068 days old) by coldspot66 (Plymouth, Mass)        

That is a dimple molded into the lid to activate the lid switch button behind it. When you close the lid the dimple hits the lid switch to supply power to the washer.

Post# 51073 , Reply# 2   12/14/2004 at 22:20 (7,068 days old) by alr2903 (TN)        
HI Veg.

I think the older tags had wiring in the lids the black round one was, pushed against by the the tube inside the agitator to start agitation, what we all know as a filter inside a tag agitator was at that time a solid piece of metal used as a float to push up and signal a full tub of water. the one below it was an off balance switch, if unbalance occured the agitator would strike this switch and stop the spin. Now i hope im right, but I picked this up in discussion in this site. alr2903. Something new here everyday LOL>

Post# 51089 , Reply# 3   12/15/2004 at 04:46 (7,068 days old) by Gyrafoam (Wytheville, VA)        

Yeah, a mercury switch would shut off the action if the lid was lifted.The other things were as described by air2903.

Post# 51134 , Reply# 4   12/15/2004 at 17:03 (7,067 days old) by sambootoo (Moody, AL)        

I had one of these Maytag AMP models given to me years ago, had to replace the transmission, then sold it. WISH I'D KEPT IT!!! This was a very fun machine to "play with." Had the water level selector underneath the lid along with the other gadgets described above. The version I had used a rubber diaphragm over the top of the agitator with a metal cap attached rather than the metal float inside the agitator. Air pressure created inside the agitator as the tub filled with water pushed the diaphragm and metal cap up against the mercury switch. This was a pain to replace if you ever had to remove it!

Post# 51208 , Reply# 5   12/16/2004 at 14:20 (7,066 days old) by gedish1947 ()        
I removed the metal cap!

As a kid, I couldn`t stand it any longer, I pulled it off saw the rubber diaphram and broke out into a cold sweat wondering how will I ever get it back, which of course I couldn`t, but I`m not sure my friend`s mother ever found out.

Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      

Comes to the Rescue!

The Discuss-o-Mat has stopped, buzzer is sounding!!!
If you would like to reply to this thread please log-in...

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In

New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.

Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy