Thread Number: 90860  /  Tag: Modern Automatic Washers
Video: Are today's washers made to break?
[Down to Last]

Cool Washer Stuff on Amazon:
scroll >>> for more items
Post# 1153697   7/8/2022 at 16:50 by Moparwash (Pittsburgh,PA - Next Wash-In June 2022!)        

moparwash's profile picture
Post# 1153702 , Reply# 1   7/8/2022 at 17:20 by Maytag85 (Sean A806)        

maytag85's profile picture
Everything made after 2010 is designed to break and fail. Thereís a big difference in the quality of appliances built in the 2000ís vs the 2010ís, same thing for cars. Technology has improved since the 2000ís but the quality and quality control has a bit to be desired since some things are broken right out of the box or develop problems soon after. 21st century engineering simply CANNOT compare to 20th century engineering and design.

Post# 1153706 , Reply# 2   7/8/2022 at 17:46 by appnut (TX)        

appnut's profile picture
I've been following his YT channel for a while.

Post# 1153727 , Reply# 3   7/8/2022 at 21:27 by GELaundry4ever (Killeen tx USA)        
today's washers

Let me tell you. Yes they are! They don't clean well either. I'd take a Whirlpool direct drive, GE filter-flo, or even a Speed Queen Classic.

Post# 1153729 , Reply# 4   7/8/2022 at 22:31 by Smartdrive1100 (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia)        
100%

smartdrive1100's profile picture
Everything has been made to break for years!
Appliances, cars, etc.
Lightbulbs where also made to break so the companies would get more sales and it worked!
I also think the little coupling in the whirlpool DD was something that was made to break so that people would throw it out and get a new machine but thatís just what I think.


Post# 1153732 , Reply# 5   7/8/2022 at 23:45 by whirlykenmore78 (Prior Lake MN (GMT-0600-CST.))        
No surprise here:

whirlykenmore78's profile picture
85% of today's appliances are cheap, flimsy junk full of China parts that are meant to break and can't be fixed. Of course, a DD washer is better in every way than a VMW. The DD is one of the best TL machines ever built and the VMW is garbage at best.
WK78


Post# 1153736 , Reply# 6   7/9/2022 at 00:08 by robbinsandmyers (Conn)        

robbinsandmyers's profile picture
When I see those stamped steel transmissions and all that cheap plastic Im glad Im still using an antique Maytag with its cast iron spinning weapon of a trans and steel tubs etc.

Post# 1153741 , Reply# 7   7/9/2022 at 01:10 by Maytag85 (Sean A806)        

maytag85's profile picture
I am pretty sure a majority of those Whirlpool VMW washers have gone to scrap in the 12 years they have been in production. Not really environmentally responsible to make disposable machines that canít make it past 5+ years without major repairs or a complete overhaul. It takes A LOT of energy to process steel than it is to make appliances that will last 15 to 20+ years. Whirlpool should have continued making the direct drive washers since some of the VMW washers have the same EXACT capacity as the direct drives did.

Post# 1153751 , Reply# 8   7/9/2022 at 06:51 by Repairguy (Danbury, Texas)        
Reply# 4

repairguy's profile picture
Of course the little coupling on a direct drive washer was designed as a weak point to break in order to protect the motor or gearcase from overload conditions. Although washers were thrown out for this failure and it was an inconvenience when it failed it was much better than the heavy duty version of the coupling which would not fail so it rounded the shaft on the motor, gearcase, or both instead of the coupling failing sending the machine to scrap for sure.

Post# 1153763 , Reply# 9   7/9/2022 at 10:12 by DADoES (TX,†U.S. of A.)        

dadoes's profile picture

The DD motor coupler is equivalent to a belt.† Yes, people toss out machines for failed couplers for being alarmed at the unhealthy noises that may occur but it's as crazy to to do that as it is to trash a car for a bad battery.

The online parts source I typically use has couplers for $11.† Non-OEM items can be found for less than $8.

Melvin, are old-style couplers without the metal insert still available, as either OEM or non-?


Post# 1153788 , Reply# 10   7/9/2022 at 12:41 by foraloysius (Leeuwarden, Friesland, the Netherlands)        

foraloysius's profile picture
It's easy to keep beating a dead horse, i.e. that modern machines are not as good as older ones. As this is an appliance site, members have more thoughts about appliances than the average consumer. I remember a fellow member telling here that a relative had bought a new house (we're talking mcmansion here, with a 5 car garage). When it was time to replace the washer he told his wife to go buy the cheapest washer available, which was a very basic toploader (IIRC a Kenmore with temperature settings in the timer) for $199.- back then.

A good quality machine like the ones of yesteryear would cost around $2500.- now. No regular consumer (not with a special interest in appliances) is going to fork out that kind of money for "just" a washing machine. A lot of regular consumers don't even know what brand their washer is.

Actually I think it is quite a miracle that manufacturers can make a machine that works for a reasonable amount of years for the prices they are getting for their products. For instance some members here speak highly of their Amana or Roper basic toploaders. $629.- for the Amana is around 25% of the price a really good machine would cost. A lot of consumers find that more than enough for a washing machine.

I think modern machines are not made to break, the margins are just too small for the manufacturers to make a machine that really lasts long. They are just selling what the market is asking for. So don't blame the manufacturers but the consumers.


Post# 1153789 , Reply# 11   7/9/2022 at 12:52 by mark_wpduet (Lexington KY)        

mark_wpduet's profile picture
well I started following these forums in 2005 when I bought my duet...and I can totally remember everyone saying (anything made today is JUNK) in 2005! In 2005, it had to be made in 60s 70s 80s or 90s...that anything made after 2000 was pretty much junk...

but that all being said....it's true...everything is cheapening...cutting corners...designed to fail...really good for the planet isn't it? Mandate it for energy and water usage so it's green...and hope it doesn't fall apart.. Makes total sense.


Post# 1153791 , Reply# 12   7/9/2022 at 12:56 by Maytag85 (Sean A806)        
Reply #10

maytag85's profile picture
I am NOT beating on a dead horse, I simply am stating the facts. You keep on beating on a dead horse by saying ďbeating on a dead horseĒ.

Post# 1153792 , Reply# 13   7/9/2022 at 13:02 by Repairguy (Danbury, Texas)        
Reply# 9

repairguy's profile picture
Glenn I havenít found the older style couplings minus the metal inserts to be available anymore. Every now and then I find one that is NOS and snatch it up.

Post# 1153796 , Reply# 14   7/9/2022 at 13:37 by foraloysius (Leeuwarden, Friesland, the Netherlands)        
"I simply am stating the facts"

foraloysius's profile picture
Sean, I didn't mention you because my comment wasn't addressed specifically at you, but apparently you thought my comment fitted you.

BTW, I haven't read any facts from you in this thread, just opinions.


Post# 1153804 , Reply# 15   7/9/2022 at 14:33 by Logixx (Germany)        

logixx's profile picture

I work in a store that's half appliances and half grills - mostly Weber and Napoleon with a few other brands

I had a customer today who spent almost 1,800 Euros on some Napoleon grill. We don't even offer a washer that expensive and if we did, no one would pay that amount of money.

It's crazy to me how much money customers spend on these grills that are realistically used for maybe only 1/4 of the year. Similarly, people are willing to spend a little more on ovens. I guess it's because they actually want to BBQ and eat. It's an enjoyable thing to do. Fancy coffee machines or food processors would also fall in that category.

But washers and dryers? Eww, yuck. That's a chore they want nothing to do with. So they gravitate towards the cheapest white box they can find that'll spin their clothes in a circle, while having great energy efficiency... because, well, energy needs to be saved. Never mind that gasoline is crazy expensive; people are still speeding down the highway like lunatics. But washing laundry, yeah, that's where the big savings are at. 🙄

 

Now, some customers will say that their old machine lasted 20 or 30 years. But it is generally accepted that their new purchase won't last as long. Maybe I should do an experiment and tell them to purchase a commercial machine for upwards of 2,000 Euros, which might last them that long again. But really, no one would do that. The vast, vast majority of people rather junk a cheap machine every so often that to make an investment in high quality. 🤷🏻‍♂️

To add to what Louis said about margins: well, by selling that one grill, I have probably generated more revenue than by selling ten washers. While a grill might have a margin of around 30% or more, appliances are usually around 5 to 10 % (if that).


Post# 1153806 , Reply# 16   7/9/2022 at 14:34 by robbinsandmyers (Conn)        
Not all blame is on consumers...

robbinsandmyers's profile picture
Dont forget all companies have profit margins. Its they who are really to blame for cost cutting because of high union labor costs, high insurance costs, high property value costs, some states tax you on machinery as property plus inventory tax, high material costs, etc. Most of it stems from the high operating cost of them doing business at that particular location. Hence why they relocate in the first place to either Mexico or China because its cheap labor and no insurance plus sourcing cheap parts from China. Its been a long snow ball effect the last 50 years of everything going up in price to manufacture a product. Companies did what they had to to survive and compete. Decades ago it was to move down South, then Mexico, now its China. I imagine it was pretty inexpensive for Maytag to produce that cast iron bear of a trans in Newton many decades ago. It finally got cost prohibitive. To keep costs down and value high they should have sent the tooling elsewhere to make it just as good but still at their old costs scale. Same with other parts as well. Most stuff made in China is garbage, however I have seen stuff made in China for companies like Honda etc that are still built to a high standard in their own factories.

Post# 1153809 , Reply# 17   7/9/2022 at 14:51 by DADoES (TX,†U.S. of A.)        

dadoes's profile picture

There are price-points that the market must meet.

There's no question that appliances were built more robustly in the 1940s, 50s, 60, 70s and 80s, even into the 90s.† They could be then.† They cannot be such today while maintaining the prices the average consumer is willing to pay.

It is what it is.


Post# 1153810 , Reply# 18   7/9/2022 at 14:57 by foraloysius (Leeuwarden, Friesland, the Netherlands)        

foraloysius's profile picture
Yes, a washing machine should cost nothing and do it's job unseen. There is another side too, people who buy expensive kitchen appliances but never use them. Just to have them for showing off to their neighbours.

Yes, ofcourse companies have profit margins, if they didn't have them, they wouldn't be making appliances. For many years a lot of manufacturers were already buying parts from everywhere around the world. There used to be an appliance site where you could read about that. I think it was appliances.com, but not sure. That site doesn't exist anymore.


Post# 1153828 , Reply# 19   7/9/2022 at 19:52 by Good-Shepherd (New Jersey)        
the ones of yesteryear would cost around $2500.- now.

Adjusted for inflation thats about what people paid for yesteryear W/D's.. with the understanding they would get many years of service for their money.

Post# 1153849 , Reply# 20   7/10/2022 at 02:30 by foraloysius (Leeuwarden, Friesland, the Netherlands)        

foraloysius's profile picture
"with the understanding they would get many years of service for their money."

I fully agree, but people nowadays don't seem to think ahead like that anymore.


Post# 1153853 , Reply# 21   7/10/2022 at 05:04 by qsd-dan (West)        

qsd-dan's profile picture
People are willing to lay down more cash for a better and longer lasting design but those high dollar appliances are still unreliable pieces of shit.

Example: www.reddit.com/r/Applianc...


Post# 1153857 , Reply# 22   7/10/2022 at 09:13 by eriksp (Norway)        

My two cents on this matter is that regardless of any statistical drop in durability of modern appliances, a lot of people here are viewing the past through VERY rose colored glasses. There is a reason why most laundry rooms around the world (well, I can only speak for Norway), don't have very old appliances, and that's because those appliances are long since broken and replaced. The ones that are still around are the rare survivors, just as you will find the odd modern appliance still alive in 25-30 years time. The real problem is the cost of repair, which is very high because of price gouging by manufacturers and the cost of labor, which is avoided during production because they're built in low cost countries, and production lines are automated to a large degree. The former can be addressed by right to repair legislation, the latter cannot.

Post# 1153862 , Reply# 23   7/10/2022 at 10:21 by IIIJohnnyMacIII (North Carolina)        
Globalization is over

iiijohnnymaciii's profile picture
With globalization at its end, slowly there will be more appliances made in North America. Whether or not that translates to more robust appliances remains to be seen, but the opportunity is here again.

Post# 1153866 , Reply# 24   7/10/2022 at 10:42 by DADoES (TX,†U.S. of A.)        

dadoes's profile picture

As I've said several times, my family's January 1962 Whirlpool belt-drive had many repairs until it was replaced in June 1976 ... belt and wig-wag and pump (maybe more than once), bearings, mercury-capsule lid switch bracket rusted off, brush filter replaced (probably twice) due to wear-and-tear from frequent cleaning, motor centrifugal switch got sticky and sometimes wouldn't reset (particularly on low speed) for the next start, bakelite agitator cracked, possibly a tub leak occurred at some point (the local dealer, which is the one where I worked summers for several years, often used roofing tar to fix tub leaks).† Bad bearings again is what triggered the machine's replacement.


Post# 1153876 , Reply# 25   7/10/2022 at 12:46 by kenwashesmonday (Carlstadt, NJ)        

Our 1961 GE Filter Flow would leave oil spots on my mom's nursing uniforms when the transmission started to leak.  It went through 3 transmissions in 15 years. 


Post# 1153882 , Reply# 26   7/10/2022 at 13:32 by Maytag85 (Sean A806)        
Reply #25

maytag85's profile picture
GE Filter Flo washer reliability was dubious at best, sometimes they could go for many years with no repairs or would need a major repair every 5 to 10 years. Thatís why Whirlpool/Kenmore and Maytag were popular for many years since they didnít need repairs all that often and yes the Whirlpool belt drive washers needed to be repaired every so often if it were the pump, belt, control magnet assembly aka wig wag but those repairs were guaranteed vs something like a GE Filter Flo washer since there could be oil or water leaks or a transmission failure. Iíve taken a Whirlpool belt drive transmission apart before, thereís heavy cast iron gears inside similar to a Maytag, only way a transmission can fail is if water gets inside and contaminates the oil but that only ever happened if the tub seal failed (which was rare) or the center post seals failed which happened on the later belt drive washers but almost never happened on the belt drives with the tall center post.

Post# 1153884 , Reply# 27   7/10/2022 at 13:33 by qsd-dan (West)        

qsd-dan's profile picture
There was a large difference in reliability of washers from the 50's/early 60's compared to the late 60's and 70's....minus the Frigidaire 1-18.

Post# 1153890 , Reply# 28   7/10/2022 at 14:13 by ryner1988 (Indianapolis)        

I don't think it's always unwillingness on the consumer's part to invest in long-lasting goods like they used to. I think in many cases they can't. It's true that if one adjusts for inflation the price of a washer back in the day would be in the $1000 range today, and that people were willing to pay that to get good performance and reliability in their home goods. However, the price of production has gone up. The price of labor has gone up. The price of quality goods has gone way up. Wages, however, have not risen to match, not by a long shot. So I think consumers are a lot of times forced to buy crap because a $500 washer is what they can afford, which was the case many years ago. In order to get quality goods to consumers, consumers need to be able to afford them. Wages can't stay stagnant forever or we won't be able to afford anything.

Post# 1153892 , Reply# 29   7/10/2022 at 14:17 by Maytag85 (Sean A806)        

maytag85's profile picture
The mechanical tolerances were better in the mid to late 60ís and through the 70ís vs the 50ís and early 60ís. Oils in the 50ís and early 60ís werenít all that great either which is why engines were a bit tired before reaching 100,000 miles and the engines themselves werenít bad but the oils were. If they still made cars and engines like they did back then but since the oils have improved greatly since then, theyíd easily would last to 150,000 or even 200,000 miles since oils and transmission fluids have improved greatly since then.

Post# 1153899 , Reply# 30   7/10/2022 at 15:19 by DADoES (TX,†U.S. of A.)        

dadoes's profile picture

The 1976 Supreme 80 was MSRP $369 which is what the dealer charged (although sales tax included which was his policy on new purchases).† That's equivalent to $1,895 to $1,899 today.† Speed Queen's MSRP for a TC5 is $1,449 and $2,229 for a frontloader, although discounts are widely available.† Either way, many consumers can't justify the cost or don't have the up-front funds vs. other choices, and they don't expect or *want* to keep the same appliance for 20+ years.

As an example, my Panasonic plasma TV (although it's really only a display since it has no tuner or speakers) will be 20 years in September.† It's 1024x768, 720p/1080i, has no "smart" capabilities or HDMI input.† How many typical consumers would have updated long ago?


Post# 1153900 , Reply# 31   7/10/2022 at 15:26 by bradfordwhite (West Coast, U.S.)        

bradfordwhite's profile picture

1. Can an over engineered washer (or any appliance) be made? Yes. It's been done before.
Should they be made? The number crunchers and those who are looking out for the long-term survival of our society are saying NO we won't be doing that.

 

2. Traditional top load washers and even wash plate washers are:

A. harsher on clothing 

B. use much more water

C. use more detergent

D. use more electricity

E. do not clean as well

 

3. It is one thing to like the appliances and furnishing we grew up with in ...what ever decade it was.  To have pictures or furnishings as memorabilia; not a problem. 

However to want to actually incorporate things that were a bad idea or were hurting society in our lives on a daily basis is very stupid.

For example: we may like some of the products that were made of asbestos but to ACTUALLY pine for products anew made from asbestos is really, really dumb considering how much of a health risk it is.

 

 

4. About a 1/3 of the U.S. is affected by drought.  REAL TIME people.  And that number seems to be growing each year.  And that is just here in the U.S.

Other countries, especially those that are developing and adopting things like washing machines would be absolutely foolish to try and do a top load machine given the water situations affecting such countries.

 

It is totally irresponsible for any of us, if we care about society and our own lives, to try and encourage wasting water and resources on a bad product like a traditional top load washer.

 

Anything that can be done to get as many water wasting appliances and habits REMOVED from society makes us a better society.  That should be obvious.

 

Anything we can do to save water resources from not watering lawns unnecessarily, not wasting water on excess showering or shower heads that waste water, not having toilets that waste water, and of course not doing laundry in a topload machine is crucial.

 

Time to grow up. 

Put your washer fetish into perspective. 

Like the machines you like but certainly don't use the water wasting ones or encourage others to do it.

 

I don't know who made that first video but it's got a limited audience as most people will not care or understand the points.

 

Literally, yesterday I stopped at an older laundromat as I sometimes do, to check out the retro vibe.  They had traditional toploaders but the majority of machines were front loaders.  On the lids of the topload machines were signs stating to the affect of "because of the drought the topload machines have been turned off.  Please use the front loader washers"

(I wish I had my camera with me to get photos of the laundromat and the sign.  Maybe this week I will stop back for that.)

That's serious and that's taking responsibility.

 

Personally- I grew up with top loaders.  My parents first washer was a mid 60s frigidaire, then we got a 1976 Whirlpool belt drive sudsaver washer, then a 1985 GE FF TOL Spotscrubber washer, then I got Whirlpool made Direct drive models and a 1991 GE Filter flo washer.

And of course the 100+ other such top loaders I collected at various points in my life.

Do I have fond memories?  Yeah.

 

Would I ever do laundry in a top loader again?  NO. 

Would I collect the machines to look at as furniture, as people do with many other items?  Yes.

 

I first tried a friends front load Whirlpool Duet in 2007 and was sold.  So much better.

 

 



CLICK HERE TO GO TO bradfordwhite's LINK

  View Full Size
Post# 1153913 , Reply# 32   7/10/2022 at 16:18 by Jben (AL)        

I appreciate and agree with much of what was said above; but I'm not as sure that a FL washer uses less electricity than a TL.

From my experience, my 25 year old KM DD TL washer uses less electricity per load than my FL ASKO or SQ. The old KM DD only uses ~1/3 of a kilowatt hour for a load (in my area that is less than 4 U.S. cents) which is less than the FL's.

The difference appears to be because the FL machines tend to take much longer to complete the cycle than the older WP DD washers.

Regardless, when other cost are also considered like water, the FL cost per wash cycle is indeed less.

I will mention that for most of this year I have been temporarily using my washer rinse water to water the outdoor lawn and garden. (Most people would not go to the trouble yet, and I don't have a longer term plan or solution either) However in the past, all of that water was being sent down the drain. Maybe we will see more building designs incorporating alternative water disposal methods of some household water instead of it all directed into the city sewer systems.


Post# 1153924 , Reply# 33   7/10/2022 at 16:46 by ryner1988 (Indianapolis)        

@bradfordwhite, your points are valid and well-taken. However, there are some of us who still, even in a market that is trying heavily to push front loaders, can't afford them. If my Maytag A112 top loader breaks down, I'm going to need a replacement quickly because I am disabled and can't schlep clothes to the laundromat easily and neither can my wheelchair-bound wife. I'm going to find a cheap and easy solution because I'm on a fixed income. That would be either finding another old, used top loader for a couple hundred bucks or grabbing one of the VMW top load machines that are on the market today for around $500, both of which are going to use a lot of water and resources. The cheapest front loader that I've seen new is the Samsung entry level, which is still $700 on sale. Out of my range. I'm honestly not sure my laundry closet has the depth for a new front loader anyway. So, because of cost issues and the designs of many of our homes, lots of us don't really have much of a choice. I get your point but it was stated in a bit of a bossy, lectury way and like we can all do more about it than we can. My question is, what would you have someone like me do?

Post# 1153929 , Reply# 34   7/10/2022 at 17:07 by bradfordwhite (West Coast, U.S.)        
#33

bradfordwhite's profile picture

Many people these days have budget constraints.  

 

Front loaders are not a new thing any longer and can be readily found listed in the same places you'd find other appliances and at reasonable prices.

 

A front loader will probably be easier to reach for people who are wheel chair bound.

 

Regardless of what type model you choose, it might be a good idea to shop and buy a back-up ahead of time so you're not under stress when shopping.



CLICK HERE TO GO TO bradfordwhite's LINK on Indianapolis Craigslist

  View Full Size
Post# 1153931 , Reply# 35   7/10/2022 at 17:31 by bradfordwhite (West Coast, U.S.)        

bradfordwhite's profile picture






Post# 1153934 , Reply# 36   7/10/2022 at 17:59 by GELaundry4ever (Killeen tx USA)        
gallons

How many gallons do the new washers fill with? It seems when the clothes are saturated, the tub is empty of any water.

Post# 1153957 , Reply# 37   7/10/2022 at 22:30 by Good-Shepherd (New Jersey)        
Wages and consumers are a lot of times forced to buy crap

True.

Back in the day even those on a tight budget could afford a manufacturer's BOL of the line machine that was just as reliable as their TOL machines, perhaps even more so.

Nowadays thats not really any option anymore, people have to buy what they can afford and take their
chances.


Post# 1153963 , Reply# 38   7/11/2022 at 00:30 by bradfordwhite (West Coast, U.S.)        
#37

bradfordwhite's profile picture
As the decades have moved on the old BOL has tended to disappear
while the old MOL becomes the new BOL
and the old TOL becomes the new MOL
while the new TOL are new designs.

Manufacturers of many appliances, including automobiles, in the U.S. and other DEVELOPED countries are also dealing with market saturation. They can't just make a batch of couches, or entry level cars, washing machines, or whatever and count on the market demand to buy them up anymore.

These days if you're really in need of furnishing or appliances it's not difficult in many markets to get (used and nice) things for free through charitable organizations, off classified listings like craigslist or facebook.


Post# 1153981 , Reply# 39   7/11/2022 at 07:59 by maytaga806 (Putnam, Michigan)        

I watched this video just recently funny you bring it up, and it was extremely hard for me to even look at the new design of the belt driven Whirlpools. Itís just so cringe worthy to see how machines are made today VS how nice they used to be, real material and durability, vs all plastic and wires nowadays. We had a Whirlpool cabrio in which the frame rusted out within the FIRST FEW years. It was unbelievable. Performance was bad, the motor gave out on its 11th year which hey could of been at the second or third year, but Iím sure the reason those motors go out is because they are under a much heavier load compared to the direct drive motors, because the washer has much much less water for a big load of heavy wet clothes and itís trying to agitate them from the very bottom to pull everything down. There is no question that is was certainly being overworked unless you were doing a tiny light load. You could hear the motor working hard to agitate in bigger loads, wasnít a concerning sound but it was noted. Since then and living on my own I love my water wasting Whirlpool Direct Drive. Nothing compares to it, reliability, simplicity, the beautiful way in which it was designed and built. Same goes for the older Maytags Speed Queens all of them were very well built machines that simply cleaned the most thoroughly. I love his videos though, he knows what he is talking about and shows these components in comparison perfectly.

Post# 1153989 , Reply# 40   7/11/2022 at 10:57 by LowEfficiency (Iowa)        

lowefficiency's profile picture

>> The vast, vast majority of people rather junk a cheap machine every so often
>> that to make an investment in high quality.

Part of it too is that machines of today are visibly "electronic", and consumers have become accustomed to basically all other electronic or tech products having a short lifecycle, whereupon they are replaced with something that is basically the same but inherently better because it is newer. Nobody buys a smartphone or computer expecting to keep using it for 20+ years... and many don't even think that way for major purchases like vehicles. That 3-5 year cycle is so ingrained and normalized, it's just part of the assumption at the time of purchase.


Post# 1154009 , Reply# 41   7/11/2022 at 13:16 by LowEfficiency (Iowa)        

lowefficiency's profile picture

>> The mechanical tolerances were better in the mid to late 60ís and through the 70ís vs the 50ís and early 60ís. Oils in the 50ís and early 60ís werenít all that
>> great either which is why engines were a bit tired before reaching 100,000 miles and the engines themselves werenít bad but the oils were. If they still made cars
>> and engines like they did back then but since the oils have improved greatly since then, theyíd easily would last to 150,000 or even 200,000 miles since oils
>> and transmission fluids have improved greatly since then.

Some lubricants of the 50s-60s were actually significantly better (in terms of chemical/mechanical properties) than those of the 70s. For example, sperm whale oil was a prime ingredient in automatic transmission fluid (and others in similar service) up through 1973 when banned by the endangered species act. After that, transmission failures rose by 700% in the following years!


Engine lifespans between eras can't realistically be linked or projected to changes of single variables. Fuel is/was substantially different, the speeds and way we drive is different, materials, tolerances, balancing, vibration allowances, consumer attitudes on preventative maintenance, road types, air and oil filter technologies, emissions and fuel economy requirements, etc, etc. Pouring modern oil into a 1950s engine isn't going to magically make it last to 200,000 miles... Classic car owners would love it if that was true!



Post# 1154012 , Reply# 42   7/11/2022 at 14:10 by kenwashesmonday (Carlstadt, NJ)        

LowEfficiency wrote:
"Pouring modern oil into a 1950s engine isn't going to magically make it last to 200,000 miles"

Over the years, I had 3 Rambler Americans with the little flathead six that Nash designed and debuted in 1941. They ran 200,000 miles without breaking a sweat, with modern oil, and unleaded fuel. I got similar service from 2 examples the OHV version of that engine that debuted in 1956.

The 1962 & up Chevrolet straight six generally ran 500,000 miles in taxi duty. I know of no gasoline engine built today that could do that with any regularity.

The reason most cars didn't last so many miles back then was simply lack of maintenance. Did you know that a '57 Chevy is supposed to have the chassis lubricated every 1000 miles?

Today's cars require very little maintenance, and that's the main reason they last so much longer. Of course they're also safer. If you count inflation and standard equipment, they're also a lot less expensive to buy than the cars of 60/70 years ago.





Post# 1154017 , Reply# 43   7/11/2022 at 14:19 by robbinsandmyers (Conn)        

robbinsandmyers's profile picture
Yesterdays oils and greases left much to be desired compared to todays. My 1960 Mercedes owners manual clearly states " Todays oils are just good enough to protect your engine, proper service ensures long life ". Basically what they were saying was oil isnt the old waxy sludge you used in 1938 but it still has a ways to go. Oil changes were much more frequent as was greasing. Car engines dont sludge up anywhere near like they used to unless they're really neglected. Todays bearings and rings are made much better as well. Proof of that is the 50:1 ratio 2 strokes use. Try running 50:1 synthetic in an old 2 stroke engine and it will still fail in short order.


Forum Index:       Other Forums:                      



Comes to the Rescue!

The Discuss-o-Mat has stopped, buzzer is sounding!!!
If you would like to reply to this thread please log-in...

Discuss-O-MAT Log-In



New Members
Click Here To Sign Up.



                     


automaticwasher.org home
Discuss-o-Mat Forums
Vintage Brochures, Service and Owners Manuals
Fun Vintage Washer Ephemera
See It Wash!
Video Downloads
Audio Downloads
Picture of the Day
Patent of the Day
Photos of our Collections
The Old Aberdeen Farm
Vintage Service Manuals
Vintage washer/dryer/dishwasher to sell?
Technical/service questions?
Looking for Parts?
Website related questions?
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy
Our Privacy Policy